When you want to inspire a sense of adventure in your 9-year-old, few things can compare to the excitement and fun of skateboarding. But it’s really important to pick the right skateboard to make sure they have a great and safe time. In this guide, we’ll thoroughly examine about the world of Big Skateboards and give you all the info you need to choose the perfect one.
How Big Skateboard for 9 Year Old?
In the realm of skateboarding, Big Skateboards stand tall. For 9-year-old riders, they offer stability and a smooth ride. Look for a deck size around 8.0 to 8.5 inches for balance. Opt for wheels about 55mm to 60mm for comfort. Match trucks to the deck width. Prioritize safety with a snug helmet, knee and elbow pads, and wrist guards. Happy skating on the path of adventure!
Big Skateboards, often referred to as cruiser boards, are an excellent choice for young riders. Here’s why:
1. Stability and Balance
- Big Skateboards offer a wider deck, providing better stability, which is essential for beginners.
- The broader wheelbase ensures improved balance, making it easier for 9-year-olds to find their footing.
2. Smooth Riding Experience
- Larger wheels on Big Skateboards roll over cracks and bumps more smoothly, ensuring a comfortable ride.
- This feature is ideal for kids who are just starting and may encounter uneven surfaces.
3. Versatile and Fun
- Big Skateboards are perfect for both cruising around the neighborhood and learning tricks at the skatepark.
- They allow your child to explore various styles of skateboarding as they progress.
Key Factors to Consider
When selecting a Big Skateboard for your 9-year-old, there are a few essential factors to keep in mind:
1. Deck Size
- Look for a deck size between 8.0 to 8.5 inches for stability and ease of control.
- A wider deck provides more room for their feet, boosting confidence.
2. Wheel Size
- Opt for wheels around 55mm to 60mm in diameter for a smooth and comfortable ride.
- Larger wheels roll better over rough surfaces.
3. Truck Width
- Choose trucks that match the width of the skateboard deck.
- Properly fitted trucks enhance maneuverability and control.
4. Weight Capacity
- Ensure the skateboard can support your child’s weight comfortably.
- Check the manufacturer’s recommendations to avoid safety issues.
5. Quality Bearings
- Good quality bearings ensure a smoother and faster ride.
- Look for skateboards with ABEC-5 or higher rated bearings.
Top Picks for Big Skateboards
Now that you understand the essential features to consider, here are some top Big Skateboards for 9-year-olds that have earned rave reviews from both parents and young riders:
1. Santa Cruz Classic Dot Cruiser
- Deck Size: 8.0 inches
- Wheel Size: 60mm
- This classic cruiser offers a perfect blend of style and performance.
2. Powell-Peralta Flight Deck
- Deck Size: 8.25 inches
- Wheel Size: 56mm
- Known for its durability, this board can withstand the rigors of skateboarding.
3. Landyachtz Dinghy Cruiser
- Deck Size: 8.0 inches
- Wheel Size: 63mm
- The Dinghy Cruiser is renowned for its smooth ride and stylish design.
4. Sector 9 Bamboo Lookout
- Deck Size: 8.375 inches
- Wheel Size: 74mm
- If your child enjoys longer rides, this board is an excellent choice.
5. Globe Big Blazer
- Deck Size: 9.125 inches
- Wheel Size: 62mm
- Offering a larger deck for added stability, the Big Blazer is perfect for beginners.
Safety First: Protective Gear
Before your young rider embarks on their skateboarding adventure, it’s crucial to emphasize safety. Ensure they have the following protective gear:
- A properly fitted helmet is non-negotiable for skateboarding safety.
- Make sure it meets safety standards and is worn at all times.
2. Knee and Elbow Pads
- Protecting joints is essential, especially during falls or while learning tricks.
- Ensure a snug fit for maximum protection.
3. Wrist Guards
- Wrist injuries are common in skateboarding; wrist guards can prevent them.
- Look for durable and comfortable options.
Commonly asked questions
What is the ideal deck width for a big skateboard for a 9-year-old?
For a 9-year-old, a deck width between 7.5 to 8 inches is recommended. This width provides a balance of stability and maneuverability, ensuring a comfortable ride.
Why should I consider a big skateboard for my 9-year-old instead of a regular-sized one?
Big skateboards offer enhanced stability and balance, crucial for young riders. They also provide a smoother ride due to larger wheels, ensuring a more comfortable experience for beginners.
How do I choose the right wheelbase for a big skateboard for my 9-year-old?
Aim for a wheelbase between 13 to 15 inches. This range strikes a balance between stability and responsiveness, providing an optimal ride for young riders.
Can my 9-year-old use a big skateboard as they grow older, or will they outgrow it quickly?
A big skateboard offers ample room for growth and skill development. With the right size selection, your 9-year-old can continue using the board as they progress in their skateboarding journey.
What protective gear is essential when my 9-year-old starts skateboarding on a big board?
It’s crucial to equip your young rider with a certified helmet, elbow and knee pads, and wrist guards. These ensure their safety and provide necessary protection during falls or collisions. Always prioritize safety on the skateboard.
The Thrill of Learning
Choosing the right Big Skateboard for your 9-year-old is a pivotal step towards an exciting and safe skateboarding journey. By prioritizing stability, balance, and room for growth, you empower your young rider to thrive in this exhilarating sport. Remember, safety is paramount, so don’t forget the essential protective gear. Now, gear up, hit the pavement, and let the adventure begin!
Duke Edward, a 23-year-old professional skateboarder and content writer, boasts extensive experience in the skateboarding industry. His expertise stems from years of practice and passion for both skateboarding and skiing. As an accomplished athlete, Duke delivers valuable insights and reliable information on skateboarding equipment and techniques.